Friday, February 17, 2012

Colors we mix


Blank canvas is where we all begin. How we create the masterpiece we call our own and claim to be our life. Moving forward is merely picking up that brush, dipping it in paint and transferring that paint from brush to blank areas or painting over previous brush strokes. It is interesting to look around and see others choice of colors and choice of angles and lines and to see the emotions expressed. Some masterpieces are focused only at the bottom of their canvas', using slight movements and brushing over the same spots they've painted since the beginning, also only using dark colors that mesh together into a dark, elusive blob. If you look hard enough you can tell there were moments they had added bright colors, some pure whites, some bright yellows, but those didn't last, they were painted over by those heavy dark tones. The light colors peek through the brush strokes screaming with arms stretched forth as if they were drowning in the sea of darkness. A part of me wants to throw a life saver out to the pleading bright moments in the painting, pick up a bucket of yellow and splatter it all over the dark emotionless black sea, hopefully giving them a second chance.

See its easy for me to pick out corrections in other peoples paintings, but when I look back to mine it seems like I haven't even started. The colors don't mix together, and it is very random and no fluidity. I don't know what to paint, what to make of MY masterpiece. My brush is constantly moving, not always rich with colors but I know if I stop I wont be successful in what I want out of it. I look around again and it is flabbergasting to me how people already knew from the beginning what was going to come out of their painting. Every bodies paintings look amazing, a lot of detail and love. When I look back to my canvas I see too many possibilities, too many things I would LOVE to paint, but I can only choose one...I mean, I do only have one canvas. I need to find out what to paint quickly, I need to find it, time is running out... to give up isn't an option. I'm loving the mustard yellow that I've perfected over the past 27 years, makes me smile. I will most defiantly use that in what will come out of MY masterpiece... I think I'll start with that. That sounds like a good starting point.

(Currently listening to Dear God 2.0 by The Roots featuring Monsters of Folk)

No comments: